Seeing as this site is supposed to be focussing on the New Zealand Gaming scene, and this weekend we have a major expo coming up, I thought it necessary to give you some details.
Armageddon (or Armageddon Pulp Culture Exposition in full) is more than just gaming. There’s a whole lot of crap too. It would be better to label it a geeks expo. However that might not help their ticket sales.
I didn’t even know it was on until I was reading the Rooster Teeth website the other day, and saw they were going to be there. In case you don’t know who Rooster Teeth are, they’re the creators of Red vs Blue and PANICS.
They basically take games (RvB = Halo, PANICS = F.E.A.R) and turn them into short movie episodes by recording game movements and recording dialogue to go with it. They do an outstanding job, and are well worth a look. PANICS is blimmin’ hilarious. You can get hi-res copies of the movies from fileplanet.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Two of the guys from Rooster Teeth are going to be there, but they didn’t even rate a mention on the website.
The events that did rate a mention are below. I sorted them into categories for your convenience.
* Telecom Txt contest – win a Sanyo 9000
* Dominos Pizza eating contest
* Huge Pillow Fight
* Cosplay costume competition
* Beanie Babies treasure Hunt
* Massive gaming arena, with PSP, Nintendo DS WI-FI, Xbox 360, Playstation 2, EVE Online, Singstar contest and Gelato
Comics / Animation
* NZ Comics display
* Dragonball Z movie screening as well as Kamehameha/fusion contest
* International and local comic stores
* Animation room Screenings
* Sci-fi products
* Blockbuster Video, DVD clearance sale, heaps of titles upto 50% off
* Poster sale
* Telecom display
* the Original General Lee car from the Dukes of Hazard
* Xmen 3 display area
* Meet the Stars of Bro’ Town
* Jonathan Schnieder (Smallville & Duke of Hazard)
* Jewel Staite (Serenity)
* John Billingsley (Enterprise)
* Claudia Christian (Babylon 5)
* Geoff Johns and Phil Jimenez (International comic creators)
* Mike Mcfarland & Sean Schemmel (voices of Dragonball Z)
* Brian Beacock (Yamato in Battle B-Daman)
* Roger Bumpass (Squidward in Spongebob squarepants)
* Live wrestling
* Megazone LaserTag arena
* Trading card learn to play areas
* Magic the gathering, Yu-gi-oh and more trading card tournaments
* Gameboy tournament
I’ll add more info as I get it. The expo hits Auckland October 21-23rd, but unless there’s a specific gaming reason to go (such as a preview or demo of something), I think I’ll pass.