The other night Megan and I attended the Auckland Buskers Festival. It was a bit of a mixed night, with some pretty spectacular performances, and quite a few mistakes. The most dramatic mistake came at the end of the performance of Brant Matthews, a fire juggler from Toronto, Canada.
Some pretty cool juggling and swallowing of fire was supposed to culminate in the main event, some fire blowing (like Xena was apparently known to do fairly often). What happens is that he puts some type of alcohol in his mouth, then blows it out, straight into a flaming torch which lights the liquid.
I guess the danger is that if you have too much liquid and not enough breath, you can run out of breath while liquid is still in your mouth. As the flame burns the liquid, it eventually gets back to your mouth and your face.
WARNING: The video and images below may disturb younger viewers.
In addition to the freaky video, yesterday we discovered Megan caught an even freakier photo. At first it doesn’t look much more dramatic than the video.
But upon closer inspection, it is more than a little bit freaky. Note how you can make out all his features as if coated in liquid flame. Like a mask.