I’m about 1/3rd through a two month trial of Music Unlimited but like many trials, I’ve already made a decision about what I’ll be doing at the end of the trial.
– Affordable (NZ$15/month), essentially the cost of one digital album if bought on itunes.
– Great audio quality
– Songs are quick to load (i.e. not much delay between tracks or when selecting a new song)
– Huge catalogue
– Nice web interface
– Not available for Windows Phone
– Very slow to load on PS3
– Clunky interface on PS3
– Seemingly a resource hog on PS3, since you can’t do anything (e.g. look at pictures or surf internet) when Music Unlimited is running.
So I guess the good news for Sony is that the fundamental elements of Music Unlimited are solid. But it’s all the usability aspects that are not up to spec. So I won’t be using it. However there are just two things which would make me change my mind.
(1) Improve the software performance on PS3 to load faster, have better UI and operate in the background while viewing photos (as normal music does on the platform)
(2) Develop a Windows Phone App which allows songs to be stored on the device (i.e. so that they’re not downloaded over the data network)
So Sony, great job on this product, complete the items above and offer me another trial. In the meantime I’m going to check out the Zune Pass.