I’m the proud owner of an M-Audio Omni Studio. When I went to find an official page for this product the other day, I was unable to. It occured to me, that unless someone establishes a permanent record of the product, some information may be lost forever. So here we have this page. More will be added to this page over time.
The Omni Studio was sold as a package of the M-Audio Delta 66 PCI Sound Card, and the Omni Input/Output Integrated Desktop Audio Station.
About the Delta 66 Digital Recording Interface
The Delta 66 functions as a 6-input, 6-output digital recording interface. Four analog inputs and outputs plus coaxial S/PDIF IIO give you the highest quality digital I/O available – all up to 24-bit data width and any sampling rate from 8kHz to 96kHz. Connect a line-level signal from your instrument, mixer, or pre-amp to the Delta 66’s TRS jacks on the break-out box. Match the operating levels of your input and output signals using the +4, ‘Consumer,’ or -10 signal level software switches. Record a digital audio signal from your DAT, MiniDisc, CD, or external AID converter via the Delta 66’s S/PDIF input located on the PCI Host card.
Control all routing and hardware settings with the Delta’s comprehensive control panel software.
Within the Delta 66’s PCI chip is a hardware digital mixer. Controlled by the included Delta Control Panel software, it may handle all of your routing needs, give you extra control of all left, right, and stereo levels, in addition to control of pans, solos, and mutes.
- 6×6 24-blt/96khz full-duplex recording interface.
- PCI host card with external break-out box.
- 4×4 analog I/O accepts balanced or unbalanced connections on 1/4″ TRS jacks.
- Analog I/O configurable for +4dBu, Consumer, and -lOdBV signal levels.
- Analog dynamic range exceeding 103dB.
- All data paths support up to 24bit/96kHz performance, no upgrades necessary.
- Comprehensive digital mixing, routing, and monitoring capabilities with included Delta Control Panel software.
- Hardware sample-accurate sync will allow linking of multiple Delta units (expected November 1999).
- Windows 95/98 multi-card drivers with ASIOI and ASI02 multi-card, GSIF and EASI drivers included; Windows NT multi-card and Mac OS drivers with ASIO 1&2 also included.
Theory of Operation
A recording console performs two functions. It routes the signal you are about to record, providing the ability to pre-amplify and shape that signal before it gets to the recording device. At the same time, it handles all playback, allowing you to mix, add an effect, and monitor your recorded signal as well as “virtual” MIDI keyboard tracks.
The Omni I/O performs these tasks. The Omni, in conjunction with a Delta 44 or Delta 66 PCI Interface and your PC or Macintosh computer, adds the functionality of a recording console in a desktop unit. The Omni I/O is modeled after what is known as a “split console” design, where the recording and monitoring sections function independently.
Two high quality M Audio Mic/lnstrument pre-amps are routed to the Delta’s analog inputs 1 & 2. The level that you record is controlled by the Omni preamp’s independent gain controls in conjunction with the +4/ -10 operating level that you select in the Delta Control Panel. An insert jack added to the record path allows you to process the signal with outboard gear, should you choose to.
Line inputs 3 & 4 give you a total of 4 direct analog inputs to the Delta card from the Omni.
You’ll use your music software and the Delta Control Panel to make routing selections for recording and monitoring your audio tracks. Audio tracks are routed from the Delta card to a mixer that is built-in to the Omni, which combines the four Delta analog outputs with four auxiliary stereo inputs and one stereo effects return for the equivalent of a 14 channel mixer. One effect send is provided on each of the Delta output’s mixer channels. The “aux inputs can be used to monitor MIDI instruments as “virtual” tracks, and then route those instruments to the line inputs for easy recording without repatching.
This ultra-quiet Omni mixer, with extremely wide frequency response, gives you control room outputs and two headphone outputs, all with independent level controls. A separate “mix” out provides an independent feed to your mixdown deck. Ultimately, your individual and master volume levels will be controlled by your music software and/or Delta Monitor Mixer, and therefore can be saved into the computer’s memory for each recording project.
The Omni I/O takes advantage of computer-based recording and combines it with proven M Audio pre-amp and mixer technology to bring you an extremely powerful desktop recording solution. Incorporate your existing gear, or do all of your sounds and effects right inside the computer. Either way, the Omni I/O can ultimately handle all of your signal flow from tracking to mixdown.
- 2 Mic/Inst plus 2 line level balanced/unbalanced analog inputs to the Delta 44 or Delta 66 soundcard.
- The Omni’s two Mic/Inst inputs are equipped with XLR phantom power, insert I/O jacks, individual gain controls, gain reduction “pad” switch, and signal/ clip indicator LEDs.
- Low impedance mic inputs provide 66dB of gain and utilize M Audio’s critically acclaimed DMP2 pre-amp technology. They are switchable to hi-impedance instrument inputs with 46dB of gain, ideal for electric/ acoustic guitars.
- The Omni Mic/Inst pre-amp has a frequency response of 10Hz to 200kHz, low THO of .0009%, with a dynamic range of 130dB.
- Stereo effect return.
Mixing Section (all balanced/unbalanced on TRS jacks)
- The Delta analog outputs feed the Omni I/O ultra-quiet mixer, with the addition of 4 stereo aux inputs for MIDI devices and 1 stereo effects return.
- The 4 Delta analog outputs can simultaneously be used as independent balanced/unbalanced direct outs for additional effects sends, alternate mix outputs, or feeds to a secondary mixer.
- Stereo Aux inputs 1 and 2 can be muted in the mixer and re-routed to the Delta line inputs for easy audio recording of MIDI instruments or other auxiliary inputs.
- Mix out for recording to a mix deck.
- Control room outs with independent level control for monitoring.
- Two headphone outputs with individual level controls.
- One mono effect send per Delta channel.
- L/R output signal / clip LEDs.